Subject: Two Paths to DR

So how much of the two paths are we responsible for in EITC?

The two paths, of course, are managed and collaborative energy. If we chain them too closely together, we remove all benefits from having two paths. If they diverge too much, then we may appear incoherent. Here are my thoughts, broken into items each of which may be an area for a consensus decision.

1)      We cannot be responsible for the ZigBee/SEP process, an occult effort occurring within a trade association and encumbered by IP.

2)      I do not even see a path clear to receiving/accepting a donation of the ZigBee/SEP material, although I may be surprised.

3)      It is unclear to me how we would define an ESI interface to the outside of a direct control process if it had to exist inside the existing substation infrastructure. Perhaps that is my ignorance of how powerful that infrastructure is.

4)      There is a fundamental disconnect between process integration (do something when we say so) and a serviced integration (achieve results when we say so). Can we actually achieve both in one standard?

5)      Is there any way to effectively talk to the outside of an ESI as if it were SEP/Direct control system within a direct control model and get autonomous response within. Is that within scope even if the direct control is not? What would that mean?

6)      Does this mean that our model is essentially that of “With or without a separate internet connection”? Is this a bug (social equity) or a feature (dumber AMI has a smaller attack surface)?

7)      Have we sufficiently met commitments if we define DLC, and say we are not doing it?

I am afraid that until we agree on these issues, the work will be neither fish, nor flesh, nor good red herring…

Or, more strongly, that the long term reaction to a standard not clear in these matters is

“But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.”

tc

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -- Benjamin Franklin

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
OASIS Technical Advisory Board