Subject: Re: [energyinterop] Gale Horst - Comments on the AHAM White PaperReleased 14-Dec-2009

Agree that one-way notifications are a dominant pattern especially in financial markets.

For performance, when a high QoS delivery semantic is required, optimistic async one notification protocol is at play. This requires session context, idem potency (unique message ids), sequencing, resend/gapfill request, message grouping within a session (async progressive batching) and multi-hop message routing/addressing.

This is basically a repeat of tcp/ip at a "messaging" layer above transports (smtp, http, straight tcp/ip (ala sockets), X10, ftp, and queuing (MQ, AMQP, Tib) and UDP/IP multicast (reliable w/ Forward error correction-FEC). WS-Addressing begins to meet some of these patterns but falls short. It though can be extended. WS-Reliable messaging is to queuing paradigm oriented as is AMQP but provide some core required semantics (sequencing, session, etc).

Regards,
Derek LaSalle

From: Old, Bob <bob.old@siemens.com>
To: Horst, Gale <ghorst@epri.com>; energyinterop@lists.oasis-open.org <energyinterop@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thu Dec 17 09:52:55 2009

I like the concept of One-way Communication.  I just hope that train hasn’t already left the station.  Security, as reflected in the first bullet of slide 3 of this NIST presentation http://collaborate.nist.gov/twiki-sggrid/pub/SmartGrid/AugustWorkshop/PAP15_-_Security_v1b.ppt is probably less controversial.

Best,

B.O.  December 17, 2009

Robert Old

Siemens Industry, Inc.