Subject: RE: [energyinterop] RE: Signal Types

The utilities I talk to think they can do theft detection well enough.  I believe the revenue meter on the side of the house is involved—but they clearly don’t want to tell me more.  They’ve been doing theft detection for a long time.

I expect utilities to only offer incentives for retail DR programs where they can assure themselves, well enough, that the consumer has upheld his side of the bargain.

The utilities have gone to great lengths to authenticate the ESI and the thermostat or pool pump control device.  It fits in 128 KB of Flash on an 8 bit processor, though they use ECC in order to keep the keys and certificates small.  Plus they use ECC to reduce the bits on the slow wire from the meter to the head end.

I’m not convinced they can do theft detection, other than in a gross sort of way, via the meter.  Like the people driving back from Canada with a high-flow toilet in the trunk of their car shortly after the low-flow toilets were mandated in the US, I keep envisioning people returning to L.A. from a gambling junket in Las Vegas and stopping at a Home Depot in Nevada to pick up a regular programmable thermostat to wire in parallel the Air Conditioning terminals on the PCT.

Best,

B.O.  December 18, 2009

Robert Old

Siemens Industry, Inc.