Subject: RE: [energyinterop] RE: Signal Types

Sila:

Thanks for the response.  I think you illustrated another key point in your statement:

We moved three customers using simple clients from critical peak pricing tariff offered by the utility to Participating Load program offered by the ISO with NO changes in the communication and controls.”  - Sila Kiliccote.

Out at the grid end nodes, scalability and flexibility is a key to enabling a logical path of stepping stones.  This flexibility can both get us to the smart grid as well as growing it’s functionality in the future.  Once a node is on the smart grid, it will need to be reconfigurable in a way that it can be focused to support programs as opposed to technology.  Your example described the ability to change to support a different value stream  without ANY changes in the controls or the messaging scheme at the grid end node.  From the perspective of the customer or aggregator this appears to represent the ability to bid into the ISO markets one day and a DR program the next day.

I’m finding several examples of systems with this flexibility.  Unfortunately, there still a few that are being designed end-to-end for a single narrowly-focused purpose.

Thanks,

Gale

Gale R. Horst

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)