Subject: Proposed Namespace

Here is the proposed namespace email I promised.  The proposal is toward the bottom of the email, but first some history and rationale.

============ Rationale ==============

The subject of Namespaces was raised back in July, but there was not much debate.

Subject: RDDL & XSD, Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:44:57 -0500

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/energyinterop/email/archives/200907/msg00026.html

The only guidelines that I propose are:

1) Namespaces must meet OASIS policy (http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNaming.html#NamespaceDesig , http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/metadata.html#declaredNamespace )

2) There should be as many namespaces as needed to prevent element collision but no more.

Basically the pattern for #1 is:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/<ShortName>/<Versioned-NS-String>

...where ShortName is "energyinterop"

...and Versioned-NS-String is a short string identifying a namespace using a versioning subcomponent. For example, given an imaginary TC short name 'ws-xx' and a versioned namespace string element 'WS-XX-20080115'

...therefore a NS URI would be: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/ws-xx/WS-XX-20080115

The reason for #2 is that there should be a Resource Directory Description Language (RDDL) document maintained at the namespace URL (OASIS "encourages" TC's to create RDDL's).  I want to minimize the maintenance effort.

Anne Hendry rightly points to Universal Business Language's (UBL) Naming and Design Rules document as a best practice. Being new to standards development, I don't have the experience to appreciate the advantage of this written guideline up front.  I may regret this down the line, but I propose that we proceed with schema definition without such a document.  I think we can do this because there will be fewer people writing the schema and there are well documented inputs to our process (OpenADR, CIM, etc).  (Please start a separate thread or reply to Anne’s email on this for discussion).

Anne's email: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/energyinterop/email/archives/201001/msg00012.html

The OpenADR specification identifies a unique namespace for every complex type.

Ed Koch identified that the reason for this was a practical consideration for one of the Java code generation tools.

Ed's email: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/energyinterop/email/archives/200907/msg00061.html

I hope that issue is resolved. It’s been a few months, but I think I was able to successfully generate code with JAXB.  It certainly warrants discussion if it has not been resolved.

============== PROPOSAL ===============

Without further ado...

I recommend one namespace (until the need for more is apparent):

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/energyinterop/energyinterop-201001

... and the RDDL would look like the one I submitted in July.  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/energyinterop/document.php?document_id=33572

Comments to list please.

“And remember, this is for posterity so be honest.” – Count Rugen, The Princess Bride (1989)

Regards,

Dave

David Wilson

Enterprise Solutions Portfolio Manager

Trane Commercial Systems

Ingersoll Rand

Office: +1.651.407.4168

Mobile: +1.612.741.2759

Email: davidcwilson@trane.com

www.trane.com

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachment..