Subject: RE: [energyinterop] Is silence consent?

All,

I think we need more focus in energy interop.

From the NIST Twiki the purpose of PAP 03 is to

Define a framework and common terminology for:

1.Price communication,
2.Grid safety or integrity signals,
3.DER support, and
4.Other signals and/or an extensibility mechanism.

I have several questions and some answers.  Happy to listen to other answers
and questions.

First question: Shall we focus our effort on the smart grid with interval
metering or the dumb grid with cumulative monthly metering?
My answer, assume interval metering or we are taking on too much complexity
in our document with little added value.

Second question:  Do we begin with price communication for the electricity
(or gas) commodity or do we ignore price communication for the commodity and
go to directly to specify signals to reduce load from an undefined base?
My answer, clearly we have to begin with price communication for the
commodity.  That is, we need to communicate the price from a regulated or
competitive retail supplier to the end customer.

The price should be :
(1) real-time price for any amount of energy, or
(2) forward prices for forward commitments of energy for specified intervals
that can be added up to meet the desired forward purchases of the customer
with any residual purchase or sale at real-time prices, or
(3) any amount of energy at forward contracted prices that is independent of
real-time price or any further transactions (this is actually an option to
purchase energy).

Third question:  Shall we facilitate bidding into wholesale markets by
retail customers for load reductions from the base in (2) above?
My answer is yes since this is no different from the buying and selling in
forward transactions referenced above for the Second question. ( pricing
communication (2) )

Fourth question:  Shall we facilitate peak load pricing and rebates?
My answer is yes, as this is just another forward purchase or sale and is
included just like the answer to the third question.

Fifth question:  Shall we facilitate offers by customers to reduce or
increase forward purchases.
Yes, as this is included just like the answers to the third and fourth
questions.

Sixth question:  Shall we facilitate options for the retailer or ISO to buy
back at prescribed (high) prices (a call option by the retailer?  And shall
we facilitate options for the retailer or ISO to put back at prescribed
(low) prices (a put option by the retailer?  Similar options can be
described for the customers?

My answer is yes, but this is not high priority.

Seventh question: What are grid safety and integrity signals?

My answer: These have nothing to do with price and should be restricted to
signals to the capable meters to
1. disconnect from the grid
2. prevent backflow to the grid
3. limit power consumed from the grid or provided to the grid under
emergency only conditions to protect the grid equipment.
A separate category could be notifications for voluntary actions by groups
of customers.

Sixth question: How should we provide for DER support?
My answer is that we use the structure described above.  No other changes
are needed.

Seventh question: What are other signals?
My answer is that I don't know and the above seems adequate.

Regards, Ed

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.
101 First Street, Suite 552
Los Altos, CA 94022