Subject: RE: problem of sending signals to participants form multiple sources

Ed  K.

In looking at your response, I think this looks reasonable.  I rearranged your text a bit to come up the the paragraph below.  If the group agrees, this paragraph could be placed in the vicinity of figure 6 line 672 to clarify this issue.

Ed C. – assuming you agree with the gist of this, you probably want to look at the last two sentences in particular and see if they need edits to correctly describe the contractual element.

"As illustrated in Figure 6, a participant receives signals from an ERM entity above it in a hierarchical structure in the general case.  Note however that an implementer could identify and configure scenarios where a participant may receive signals from multiple sources.  This specification asserts that how conflicts between signals get resolved is beyond the scope of this specification.  If this is a potential conflict, it will need to be resolved either by the receiver of the signals or at the level of the sending entity.  To enable resolution of potential conflicts, communication packets include an attribute identifying the source of the signals.   Coordination between the different entities sending the signals is out of the scope of this specification.  Consider that the receiver / participant can also resolve any conflicts in it's implementation of the actions and the response.  As an additional note, resolution of this potential issue may actually be via a contractual basis.  Contracts with either Aggregators or Utilities may preclude this situation from occurring or becoming an issue."

Gale R. Horst

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
942 Corridor Park Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37932
Office: 865-218-8078
Cell:   865-368-2603