Subject: Programs and Simple Devices and Ranges

We had some similar discussions to those we had before Thanksgiving in regard to communicating setpoints and terms for remote communication to UIs. It took a while to come back, but oBIX has the Range object. I thought it might be interesting here

12.1 Range

The obix:Range contract is used to define a bool or enum’s range.  Range is a list object that contains zero or more objects called the range items.  Each item’s name attribute specifies the identifier used as the literal value of an enum.  Item ids are never localized, and MUST be used only once in a given range.  You may use the optional displayName attribute to specify a localized string to use in a user interface.  The definition of Range:

<list href=""obix:Range"" of="obix:obj"/>

An example:

<list href=""/enums/OffSlowFast"" is="obix:Range">

  <obj name="off"  displayName="Off"/>

  <obj name="slow" displayName="Slow Speed"/>

  <obj name="fast" displayName="Fast Speed"/>

</list>

The range facet may be used to define the localized text of a bool value using the ids of “true” and “false”:

<list href=""/enums/OnOff"" is="obix:Range">

  <obj name="true"  displayName="On"/>

  <obj name="false" displayName="Off"/>

</list >

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it” -- Upton Sinclair.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com