Subject: Value of Constraints in DR and Automation.

EI TC,
As per our discussion during April 20 TC meeting, the following is the business context for value of "constraint" services. These were part of OpenADR v1.0. Let me know if you've questions.

Toby -- Please use them as appropriate.

Value of Constraints:

The value of constraints applies to the buildings that participate in the DR programs, to the DR Service Providers (e.g., Utilities or ISOs), etc. with many benefits, including promoting consumer choice.

Within buildings, the service offers the consumers (commercial, industrial, or residential buildings), participants (e.g., facility managers) the confidence to participate in DR programs knowing that they are not subjected to shed when we cannot participate on certain terms (e.g., black-out dates). This service helps consumers more comfortable about participating in the DR programs, especially using automated DR programs where there is no human in the loop. This is an important requirement if we would like the EI standards to be used across a wider consumer-base and automation of DR programs.

This service is also useful for the DR service providers. The information on non-participation allows, them to forecast the availability of loads for sheds for a certain day, time, etc. and schedule their DR events across a consumer-base accordingly. If a constraint says that consumers within certain DR program cannot participate by setting constraints, this information can be used to better estimate shed response and customer participation and make intelligent business decisions prior to issuing the DR event.

Thank you,
-Rish

--
Rish Ghatikar
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

This email is intended for the addressee only and may contain confidential information and should not be copied without permission. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete the email from computer[s].