Subject: Conformance and Market Contexts and Program descriptions

Some off-list comments have led me to think about the number of possible constraints, wand whether every system needs to understand all of them. This concern is closely allied with the related issue that Constraints are extensible, so a given market could create their own.

In some domains, people use “must understand” flags on some semantic elements, suggesting that “If you do not understand this, you must refuse to accept request”. WS-RM carefully distinguishes between “I received the message intact” and “I received the message and understood it”.

Question:

If there are forty kinds of constraints, and a given market context (with its specific market rules) decides that *it* wants to use only 3 of them, say (arbitrarily):

Availability Schedule

Minimum Notification Time

Maximum Run Time

Is there a way to express in the market rules that only those three are accepted? Is there a way for an VEN to communicate that it does not understand some constraints?

Is this in our out of scope?

tc

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”
– George Bernard Shaw.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com