Subject: Interval Profiling and TZ Services

There are only two “components” in icalendar that are valid inside tasks, which would include vtodo and interval. They are valarms and timezones

There is no reason to include valarm n intervals. TimeZone components are a potential issue.

Recent directions in the CalConnect world are to declare a separate timezone server,  which eliminates the need to have a potentially large timezone component exchanged with each message. If we assume the existing of a timezone server in the EI standard, then Intervals have no need of components, only properties. This would go a long way toward simplifying Intervals, esp in that they would eliminate recursion.

So:

I recommend that we add a reference to a time zone server into the marketContext negotiations. The VTN or a 3rd party could be the time zone server. All Time Zone information other than the top level name, then, leaves the messages of EI.

Draft RFC for a time zone service:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-douglass-timezone-service/

tc

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”
– George Bernard Shaw.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com