Subject: RE: [energyinterop] Energy Interop Resources

Team:

I agree with Ed.  I think we have our own term, VEN, and probably don’t need to re-define another one that may be concurrently used in other contexts. As Ann noted, there are only so many words available.  But we have defined our own term, the VEN, and perhaps just need to define it relative to it’s meaning in our context.

As Ed noted, we are managing the ENERGY of a resource not the resource itself.  The problem surfaces when someone wants to think of the VEN as representing a physical device instead of the energy of the resource or set of resources.  A one-to-one relationship cannot be force-fit into this modern system architecture, thus the VIRTUAL part of the End Node  (VEN).

I think of my personal computer as a single machine.  The fact that it is a quad-core system with a multitasking architecture behind the scenes is largely out of my view.  I may think in terms of activating one task or program.  But it may spawn several threads to complete the task by doing several things concurrently (e.g. recalculating, spell-checking, going on line to check for newer version, etc) behind the scenes.  That multi-tasking is out of my vision and I have become accustomed to this and my PC would be less capable if we forced it back to a one-to-one mentality.  When I call my wife on the phone, I don’t call a specific serial number on a specific hardware platform, I dial the same phone number as I always have for the past three generations of phone technology and did not change the number (or area code) when we moved 675 miles into a different area code.  You could say it’s a virtual communication device node as it could be forwarded (without my knowledge) to a different number.

The point to my retorhic and rambling is that I suspect that someone who still needs to associate a VEN with a physical device and/or identify the physical device to a level above the VEN (e.g. to the VTN) may not not fully grasp the power, flexibility, and scalability of the virtual REC/VEN  (VTN/VEN) concept architecture.  Perhaps we need to re-focus on our level of understanding of the virtual concept which could be the root of our definition problems.

Sorry about the lecture.  But I have heard concerns from members of this group about loosing the advantages of the virtual architecture and slipping back into a command and control form of thinking.

Gale

Gale R. Horst

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
942 Corridor Park Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37932
Office: 865-218-8078
Cell:   865-368-2603