Subject: RE: [energyinterop] Registration and Party IDs

“what are the consequences of that if a customer is considered a single DR Resource by the Utility?”

The customer is a billing and contractual entity.

Example:

ChainStore with 500 stores.

400 Stores have ESI’s installed.

300 of those are customers of MyUtility

Those 300 ESI’s register and get 300 PartyIDs

250 of those enter into event-based programs / enroll as VENs.

The 300 PartyIDs are rolled up into the same Utility Bill and sent to the same customer / billing address

Those 300 IDs are likely in different towns with different congestion / equipment failure / shortage scenarios, meaning they are unlikely to represent a single DR resource.

We *could* use the words differently, but we are slowly crawling toward a normative definition for each of these words as used in EnergyInterop

Phil and I were just talking and he pointed out that for home users, the power is turned on only if a MeterId is associated with a PremisesID is associated with a CustomerID that is willing to pay.

A Meter may be swapped out; if so the meter ID travels with the meter, and a new meterID is then associated with the Premise/Customer combination.

A Customer can move to the other side of town and keep the same CustomerID, which is then associated with a new PremiseID and MeterID.

A single premise may have multiple meters.

If we extend this, then a VEN represents a MeterID / PremiseID combination (if operating at that level).

A Customer may own / reside in multiple Premises.

All DR Resources are local, meaning tied to that Premise / Meter (or sets of meters)

Corollary: All PartyIDs are tied to Premise/Meters

Exchange of Customer IDs is merely a convenience to the VTN during Enrollment

tc

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you stare long into an abyss, the abyss also stares into you."   - Fredrich Nietzche

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com