Subject: RE: [energyinterop] Registration and Party IDs

I think it has to be.

If a Party can register resources in two different market contexts, then it can have more than one account….

Let’s walk through the range of this week’s examples that EdK and Phil  provided

Chain, Ikea, multiple branches, in multiple Utility territories, potentially working with a different aggregator for each state. Say it enrolls with EnerNOC for Northern CA, directly with Sempra for San Diego, with SCE for Los Angeles. If the Party is IKEA, then that is three accounts…

Single store, Edkea, multicast from ESP (which may be PG&E) to the components of the registered resource.

Commercial Building, registers each floor as a separate resource in the same account to enable the ESP to give him an human-friendly UI for response

Commercial Building, registers AC as a DR asset with one ESP, registers all drives and motors in building to Utility as a Regulation service. Resources registered with two different companies, likely to be two different Accounts….

This is why I think we are not clear yet.

We have an ESI (which is a black box) with is associated with one or more Measurement Points which may be Meters  or Virtual Meters, which may be Provider-owned or not, in accord with market rules.

An ESI can provide a number of services on behalf of a Party. Is the ESI identifier a PartyID? If a [building] has two ESIs, does it have two PartyIDs? I am not clear yet.

The thing associated with [owning?] an ESI can [enroll or register] with a number of other Partys exposing services. To do so, it presumeable sets up a means of payment, of billing, and may meet certain requirements [bond, line of credit, …] that qualify it to participate in that business relationship. I think we said on Wednesday that Utilities call this Enrolling, and ISOs Registering. It could be said that the Account is the name of this pre-qualification to do business. [Maybe we should call it Qualification].  This suggests that Account is many to Many. In the examples above:

Ikea might associate each new store built in SCE territory with an existing Account with SCE. This would require an ESI ID of some kind which can be either assigned to or associated with an Account. If the ESI ID == PartyID, then the Account might be the thing that can persist across Chain Stores…

If this is correct, then we have:

An ESI comes to market and is assigned a PartyID. During Enrollment in each Market, it is either assigned an Account, or becomes associated with an existing account.

During Registration, a Party that wishes to act as a VEN at defines a Resource (one or more WS Addressing points, and one or more Measurement Points, and a capability) with an Account in the market it is registering in. A Party may do this several times.

During Registration, a Party that wishes to act as a VTN at does what…

During Registration, a Party that wishes to transact does what…

Under this Model,

-          an ESI can have any number of Accounts.

-          An Account can be associated with any number of ESIs, each identified by a PartyID.

-          A Resource works within a single Account as administered by a single ESI in its interactions with a single Market

The separation of the Admin and Operational interfaces of the VEN discussed yesterday I will not go into until we agree on the above…

[Note: Ed Cazalet’s reply crossed in the mail, and I believe it is compatible with the model below “If this is correct”]

tc

"It is the theory that decides what can be observed."   - Albert Einstein

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu