entity-resolution-comment message

Subject: oasis-catalog PIs in non-document entities?

In 5.1, the spec describes where the Oasis catalog PI should occur.  It says
that it must occur before the document type declaration and then (perhaps
redundantly) says that it is "an error for the processing instruction to
occur in the internal subset or after the document type declaration".

I think perhaps this is obvious, but what does this mean for PIs occurring
in other external entities?  I presume the intention is for PIs to be
ignored if they occur outside of the document entity, is this true?

~Rob