entity-resolution-comment message

Subject: Separate treatments for System ID and others URI-References

  C.f. sections 7.1 and 7.2 of
  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html#s.semantics

  I don't understand the rationale for separating the processing
of URI-References in external identifier from others URI-References.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-ExternalID
   the system identifier is an URI reference...

If there is no public ID and doing just a system ID roslution, the processing
is different than for what section 7.2 seems to think is a "normal"
URI-Reference.

I really don't see why two similar URI-Reference (assuming similar base)
may lead to different resources when processed by the same software and
coming from the same entity. This seems to break the very generic
nature of URI-references and I really can't see the point, maybe
you can provide a rationale for this.

  thanks,

Daniel