entity-resolution-comment message

Subject: Re: Separate treatments for System ID and others URI-References

On 20/08/2001 21:39:01 Daniel Veillard wrote:

>I really don't see why two similar URI-Reference (assuming similar base)
>may lead to different resources when processed by the same software and
>coming from the same entity. This seems to break the very generic
>nature of URI-references and I really can't see the point, maybe
>you can provide a rationale for this.

When the W3C decided that namespaces should be indicated by URIs (ostensibly not related to physical resources), it decided that URLs could be used indicatively rather than as labels for particular resources.  XML Catalogs similarly understand that the same URI may be used to different contexts to represent things.  A namespace URI can indicate a namespace, but it can also be indicative of a default Schema or a default stylesheet, etc.

     Cheers,
          Tony.
========
Anthony B. Coates
(1) Content Distribution Architect - Project Gazelle
(2) Leader of XML Architecture & Design - Chief Technology Office
Reuters Plc, London.
Tony.Coates@reuters.com
========

the views of Reuters Ltd.