Subject: Re: Catalog requirements

/ Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net> was heard to say:
| |    * The catalog must be expressed in XML ([XML]) with a specified
| |      namespace ([XML Names]).
|
| Further, there should be a DTD for the catalogue.

And an XML Schema.

| |    * The catalog must provide the ability to map public identifiers to
| |      URIs.
|
| Both to URLs and to URNs (passim).

URI covers both, doesn't it?

| |    * When both a public identifier and a system identifier are present, the
| |      author of the catalog must be able to express which should be used
| |      preferentially.
|
| Are present in what?  I think you want to phrase this differently.

Ok.

| |    * The catalog must provide the ability to delegate mapping of classes of
| |      public identifiers and URNs to alternate catalogs.
|
| to *other* catalogues.

Ok.

| |    * The catalog must provide the ability to map notation names to URIs.
| |
| |    * The catalog must provide the ability to map entity names to URIs.
|
| Re John Cowan's objection:  I've forgotten (already!) whether we are
| agreed not to support SGML features not present in XML, but it sure
| would be useful to do so.

I believe we agreed not to, but I don't recall what the charter says.
(I presume that the charter is the only document with any force before
the committee is officially constituted.)

| |    * The catalog must provide the ability to map URIs to alternate URIs
| |      (for example, namespace names).
|
| to *other* URIs.

Ok.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | Impatient people always arrive too
XML Technology Center     | late.--Jean Dutourd