Subject: Re: Catalog Requirements

/ Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net> was heard to say:
| If you apply "XML namespaces" to the xmlcat such that it
| cannot be used without them, then it's useless to me.  And it
| would certainly be useless for URI>URI mapping.  And I would
| probably stop paying attention ...

Oh, I don't think it'll come to that. :-)

Let's imagine that we come up with something that looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE catalog SYSTEM "catalog.dtd">
<catalog>
<public publicid="xxx" href="yyy"/>
<public publicid="yyy" href="zzz"/>
<system systemid="xxx" href="yyy"/>
</catalog>

There's no reason why a namespace-unaware processor can't use that.
What I was suggesting is that if you want to add mapping for XYZ-function
that we don't put in the standard, that you do so with a namespace:

<!DOCTYPE catalog SYSTEM "catalog.dtd">
<catalog>
<public publicid="xxx" href="yyy"/>
<public publicid="yyy" href="zzz"/>
<system systemid="xxx" href="yyy"/>
<ta:xyz foo="xxx" bar="yyy" xmlns:ta="zzz"/>
</catalog>

Of course, you're free to do that without any namespaces at all, if
you're working in a closed system.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | Curiosity will conquer fear even more than
XML Technology Center     | bravery will.--James Stephens