Subject: Re: Catalog Requirements

/ Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net> was heard to say:
| Paul responded:
| | Well, "rarely ambiguous" is still troubling, I would think.
|
| I'm trying to find a concrete example of the trouble.

I think Paul's example is perfectly concrete, but if you prefer:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/" [
<!ENTITY % local.book.attrib
"xmlns CDATA #IMPLIED
xmlns:xsi CDATA #IMPLIED
xsi:schemaLocation CDATA #IMPLIED">
]>
<book xmlns='http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/schema/4.1.2/'
      xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance'
      xsi:schemaLocation='http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/schema/4.1.2/'>
<?xml-stylesheet href="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/"
type="text/css"?>
<chapter>...</chapter>
</book>

I've got at least three classes of identifiers here: a system
identifier, a stylesheet identifer, and a schema location identifier.

I *could* have made them unambiguous at the URI level, but I am not
required to do so. And there are organizations (e.g., the W3C) that
deprecate using explicit URIs in favor of content negotiation.

| | You want to be able to map the same string into different
| | SOIs depending on the original string's context.
|
| Why?  example, please.

Because I want to get the DTD, the stylesheet, and the schema
depending on the context.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | A wonder is often expressed that the
XML Technology Center     | greatest criminals look like other men. The