Subject: Re: Proposed URI classes

John Cowan wrote

>> What is the semantic difference here between "remap" and "map"?

>"map" maps public IDs to URIs.  "remap" maps URIs to other URIs.

******************

What is the semantical value of having the mapping lhs public id
and rhs uri, and both sides uri, being called differently?  It's
mapping in either event.  I do not see that calling uir -> uri
mapping with the name "remapping" really makes semantical sense,
as it is not a case where something has been mapped and is being
mapped again *in this use*.

I believe that it makes better sense for our result to use language
that is semantically straightforward andeasily used by all technicians.
To that end, I propose that calling all mappings with the name "map"
serves our purposes better than having the suggested use of "remap"
appear in our resulting lexicon.

Regards,
David Leland

John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> on 11/28/2000 02:55:32 PM