Subject: RE: locating schemas via public ids

>Norm Walsh wrote on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 3:16 PM
>I think there needs to be some way to distinguish public
>identifiers from system identifiers in the schema hints list.

I agree with this suggestion.  However, does that mean something other than
the way that SYSTEM and PUBLIC identifiers are mentioned in
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml"?

'An example of an XML document with a document type declaration:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <!DOCTYPE greeting SYSTEM "hello.dtd">
<greeting>Hello, world!</greeting>

The system identifier "hello.dtd" gives the address (a URI reference) of a
DTD for the document.'

If the portions [lines 52 -56 ?] of TR9401 that read (as follows below) are
written as a positive requirement, then it appears that, if we follow
TR9401, we will have our hint?

'Valid FSIs include unpathed, relative, and absolute file names and URLs as
well as FSIs with explicit storage managers (as defined in the SGML General
Facilities). Most of the examples in this resolution will show s.o.i.s, but
this resolution allows FSIs as the right hand side of most catalog entries.
For example, the following are possible catalog entries that associate a
public identifier with an s.o.i.:

PUBLIC "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN" "iso-lat1.gml"
PUBLIC "-//USA/AAP//DTD BK-1//EN" "aapbook.dtd"
PUBLIC "-//ACME//DTD Report//EN" "http://acme.com/dtds/report.dtd"'

Regards,
David Leland