Subject: Re: Proposal for XML syntax for catalogs

Hi Norm and Paul;
I am substantially confused by the issues as they are currently stated,
concerning the starting reference point [xml:base] fopr the file reference
in the catalog.
I see what Norm wrote:
*************************
>At 18:13 2001 01 08 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
>Following the 8 Jan 2001 decisions, here is a sample of the syntax as I
understand it.
>> <group override="no" xml:base="absURI">
**************************
This seems to be a clear statement that the OERTC's result will be that the
xml:base will be an absolute URI.
However, both of you seem to be in agreement that it will *not* be the case
that the xml:base is required to be an absolute URI:
At Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:28:11 Norman Walsh wrote: (in response to Paul
Grosso's email of Mon, 08 Jan 2001 18:18:19 )
>> I'd also point out that, though Norm's example used a value of "absURI"
>>for xml:base, the value of xml:base needn't be an absolute URI.
>Right.
So the code sample that seems to be unambiguous in requiring an absolute URI
for the xml:base, is by your agreement, only a suggestion that an absoulte
URI be used?
Would we not then be more clear about the state of our requirement if we
were to write the requirement like this:
<!ENTITY % URI  " (absURI? | relURI?) " >
<group override="no" xml:base="%URI;">

...so that the URI can be whatever basic point of reference - xml:base -
that the user's application works best with?

Regards,
David Leland

This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly
confidential and intended solely for the addressee.  If you are not
the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any action
in reliance of this transmission.  If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify us by return and delete the same.
Further enquiries/returns can be posted to postmaster@informa.com
Thank you.