Subject: Re: First editing pass online

Hi David,

I'm a little confused by your comments.

/ "Leland, David" <David.Leland@informa.com> was heard to say:
| The dtd as given is a fragment,

A DTD is just a collection of declarations, I don't think I'm missing any.

| lacking the document declaration, and a

do you mean the <!DOCTYPE declaration? Those don't appear in DTDs just
instances.

| container.  Secondly, '%uriReference;' is not defined as a parameter entity
| with an attlist, so our recommendation will have an ambiguity.

The uriReference PE is defined:

<!ENTITY % uriReference "CDATA">

It's just a data type (for an attribute), not an element, so it
doesn't have any attributes.  What ambiguity do you see?

| On another suject, that of the path identifier, would it not be better to
| state that the search path for the catalog resource to be:
|
| 'catalogueOwnerURI, catalogueServerLocationURI,   catalogueOffsetURI'
|
| [so that the hints about the catalog are included in the name of the
| resource]

I don't think so. The way resources are identified on the web is via
URI. Making the uriReference an element with attributes doesn't make
sense unless you plan to make the URI attribute a sub-element and I
would really rather not. (It's much, much easier in a SAX-driven
parser to deal with empty elements that have attributes than it is to
deal with sub-element structure.)

Even if we did want to make it a sub-element, I don't see what benefit
we'd get from breaking it into pieces.

Instead of uri="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/catalog", what
do you imagine?

| instead of:
|
| 'publicIdentifier, partialPublicIdentifier'
|
| The two issues may be handled together:
|
| *****************************
| <!-- catalog resourced names include the hint about location.-->

Catalogs *are not* hints. They are assertions of fact: this resource
is available *there*.

| <!ELEMENT %uriReference; EMPTY>
| <!ATTLIST &uriReference;
| 	catalogueOwnerURI			CDATA		#REQUIRED
| 	catalogueServerLocationURI	CDATA		#REQUIRED
| 	catalogueOffsetURI		CDATA		#REQUIRED >

And I'm even more confused now. The publicIdentifier and
partialPublicIdentifer have nothing to do with URIs.

It's early in the morning, maybe I'm not awake yet. Can you explain
in a little more detail?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM    | To create a little flower is the labour
Technology Development Group | of ages.--Blake