Subject: Reconsidering the namespace entry type

In thinking more carefully about the namespace entry type, I think
I've reached the conclusion that it's not useful.

Practically speaking, the reason that you look in the catalog for the
namespace URI is because you want to retrieve it. That's the same
reason that you look for stylesheet URIs, document URIs, etc.

Keeping my practical hat on, the "off the shelf" processors provide
two hooks to resolve URIs: the SAX entityResolver() and the JAXP
URIResolver().

The arguments to the SAX entity resolver are a public and a system
identifier. The argument to the URI resolver is just a URI. There's no
additional information provided to either resolver about why or what
kind of URI is being resolved.

So, contrary to what I've said in the past, I'm beginning to think
that it makes more sense to have three entry types: public, system,
and uri. If you're looking for an external entity, you use
public/system entries in the well-understood way. If you're looking
for a URI, you use the uri entry. And never the twain shall meet.

(While system and uri entry types could be conflated, I don't think
we should.)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM    | You cannot step twice into the same
XML Standards Engineer       | river, for other waters are continually