Subject: Re: XML Catalog issue 22

At 15:32 2001 03 19 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
># Do we want to create a TR9401 namespace to handle all of TR9401
># in our XML catalog.
>
>Here is a preliminary proposal:

I'm still thinking about some things, but some comments embedded.

>The following elements belong to the <insert namespace here> namespace,
>which is referred to in the following examples with the sgml: prefix.
>Of course, any prefix may be used.  These elements are not part of
>the XML Catalog standard, but are provided for the convenience of
>those who wish to round-trip TR9401-conformant catalogs to and
>from XML Catalog format.  They allow the entries which are not
>translatable to XML Catalog entries to be included within the
>XML Catalog.
>
>Note that in any such round-trip conversion, storage object identifiers
>must be converted to and from URIs.  This may not always be
>possible.
>

>The sgml:sgmldecl Entry
>
>The sgml:sgmldecl element associates a URI with an SGML declaration,
>and corresponds to an SGMLDECL entry in a TR 9401 catalog.
>
><sgml:sgmldecl
>   id = id
>   uri = uri-reference
>   xml:base = uri-reference />
>

>The sgml:document Element
>
>The sgml:document element associates a URI with a document entity,
>and corresponds to a DOCUMENT entry in a TR 9401 catalog.
>
><sgml:document
>id = id
>uri = uri-reference
>xml:base = uri-reference />

I note that the DOCUMENT entry type was really the beginning of
an attempt to address "packaging" (Issue B in TR9401) and doesn't
really belong in an "Issue A" catalog.  I'd be happy to leave
DOCUMENT out, but I don't object to having this in either.

>The sgml:entity Element
>
>The sgml:entity element associates a URI with an entity which has
>a specified name, and corresponds to a ENTITY entry in a TR 9401
>catalog.
>
><sgml:entity
>   id = id
>   name = entity-name
>   uri = uri-reference
>   xml:base = uri-reference />
>
>An sgml:entity entry matches an entity if the name of the entity is
>lexically identical to the normalized value of the name attribute
>of the entry.

There's a slightly odd bit where, for parameter entities, the
entity name is considered to include the % sign.  So it's not
clear that the above description is exactly correct, but I'm
also not sure we want to get into making precise descriptions.
I think we need to say something like "this is how we recommend
you translate a TR9401 xxxx type entry, the semantics of which
are described in TR9401."

>The sgml:doctype Element
>
>The sgml:doctype element associates a URI with the replacement text
>of a doctype declaration which has a specified document type name, and
   ^
 the external subset of
>corresponds to a DOCTYPE entry in a TR 9401 catalog.
>
><sgml:doctype
>id = id
>name = doctype-name
>uri = uri-reference
>xml:base = uri-reference />
>
>An sgml:doctype entry matches an entity if the name of a document type
>is lexically identical to the normalized value of the name attribute
>of the entry.
>

>The sgml:linktype Element
>
>The sgml:linktype element associates a URI with the replacement text
>of a linktype declaration which has a specified link type name, and
>corresponds to a LINKTYPE entry in a TR 9401 catalog.
>
><sgml:linktype
>id = id
>name = linktype-name
>uri = uri-reference
>xml:base = uri-reference />
>
>An sgml:linktype entry matches an entity if the name of a link type
>is lexically identical to the normalized value of the name attribute
>of the entry.
>

>The sgml:notation Element
>
>The sgml:notation element associates a URI with an entity which has
>a specified name, and corresponds to a NOTATION entry in a TR 9401
>catalog.
>
><sgml:notation
>id = id
>name = notation-name
>uri = uri-reference
>xml:base = uri-reference />
>
>An sgml:entity entry matches a notation if the name of the notation is
>lexically identical to the normalized value of the name attribute
>of the entry.
>

>The sgml:dtddecl Element
>
>The sgml:dtddecl element associates a URI with a public identifier that
>refers to a DTD, and corresponds to a NOTATION entry in a TR 9401
                                       ^^^^^^^^
                                        DTDDECL
>catalog.
>
><sgml:dtddecl
>   id = id
>   publicId = public-identifier
>   uri = uri-reference
>   xml:base = uri-reference />
>
>An sgml:dtddecl entry matches a DTD if the normalized value of the
>public identifier is lexically identical  with the the normalized value
>of the publicIdStartString attribute of the entry.
                xxxxxxxxxxx

In general, "normalized value of the ... attribute" refers to XML
attribute normalization, but in the case of sgml:dtddecl's publicId,
it must also include minimum literal normalization.

paul