Subject: Re: minutes from ER TC teleconference 20010319

/ Lauren Wood <lauren@softquad.com> was heard to say:
| 2) there are two questions here: are we requiring namespaces? We have

Yes, I think we should.

| said that things in other namespaces can be ignored, and things in no
| namespace are reserved. We are requiring namespaces; a
| non-namespace-aware processor could handle some subset of conforming
| catalogs. Do we wish to say anything about non-namespace-aware
| processors; general agreement on this.

What was the spirit of the general agreement?

| We do require XML 1.0 + namespaces, but this is specified in the
| normative references.Nothing other than the normative references is
| normative.

I infer that this is a request to make a normative statement in the
prose. Yes?

| 6) Can an extension element change the semantics of an element from the
| catalog (non-extension) namespace: answer is no, when the question is
| sufficiently narrow. An extension attribute may change the behavior of
| the catalog, e.g., to handle both SGML and XML.We should not allow,
| .e.g, a new type of wrapper that affects the catalog elements therein.
| When a resolver is running conformantly, then it must not allow the
| presence of extraneous elements or attributes to change the behavior of
| the standard. There may be other modes where it would change the behavior.

I'm not sure I understand.

| 10) Should the nextCatalog directive be required to occur only at the
| end of the catalog: agreement on no. The nextCatalog does not inherit
| xmlbase.

Got it.

| 12) Are names in no-namespace allowed to be interpreted as catalog
| entries, or is a namespace name
|    required.Answer: the former.

I think I object.

| 25) Should we add an oasis:publicLocation attribute to handle what XML
[...]
| it sounds superfluous. If the urn:publicid idea goes through, that will
| obviate the need for it to some extent. Defer until later. Norm has to
| resubmit the urn:publicid specification.

If I knew what the answer to the encoding issues was, I'd resubmit it :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM    | He would like to start from scratch.
XML Standards Engineer       | Where is scratch?--Elias Canetti