Subject: Re: PI section for spec

/ Tony Coates <Tony.Coates@reuters.com> was heard to say:
| Attached is the spec with my PI section inserted (search for "Author
| Control of Catalog Lookup").  Comments welcome (particular on the
| public ID I quickly chose for the notation), and I guess we will
| discuss it on Monday.

On further consideration, I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense.
The use case that comes to mind immediately, adding the catalog file PI
so that you can find the doctype of the document that contains the PI,
isn't easy to solve this way.

Chances are the application doesn't see the PI until after it's parsed
the document by which time it must already know how to find the doctype.

I'm also concerned that this isn't likely to be implemented because it
requires communication "from the outside" with what is likely to be
implemented as a self-contained chunk of code.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM    | It is not failure of others to
XML Standards Engineer       | appreciate your abilities that should