Subject: Re: Minutes for 2001-04-02?

>PI issue: the use case is adding a PI to the document to be able to have a
>per-document override of the starting catalog. Discussion as to what
>"starting" means. The user of the catalog may be the application, not the
>user of the application. So far, we've only had a way to add a catalog
>placed after the other catalogs. Tony wants this to be able to test without
>shutting the system down or affecting other users. The application works by
>using some default catalog files. Since the application will have already
>loaded the document and the doctype before getting to the PI that
>potentially changes the doctype, this can cause problems. If the DTD is a
>different DTD, what should the application do? Restart? In some areas users
>will not be allowed to change the catalog path. This PI could be ignored in
>production systems. Motion to postpone until John Cowan can attend.

With regard to "Tony wants this to be able to test without shutting the system
down or affecting other users", I want to point out that I didn't particularly
want this feature.  However, when it was suggested at the previous meeting, I
opened my big mouth to argue that it could be a source of confusion if not well
documented, and so I offered to write a suitable piece of documentation.  I
don't think I succeeded, given the general level of protest during the meeting
at what I wrote.

     Cheers,
          Tony.
========