Subject: Re: NID request for publicid (draft-urn-publicid-03.txt)

Paul Grosso wrote:

>>>    In addition to the character set restriction, public identifiers
>>>    must be normalized by removing all leading and trailing whitespace
>>>    (the characters #x20, #xD, and #xA, in this context) and replacing
>>>    all remaining sequences of two or more whitespace characters with a
>>>    single space (#x20).
>>
>> Oopsie, this isn't quite what XML 1.0 says: it would leave a single
>> CR, LF, or TAB alone rather than changing it to a SPACE.
>
> Really?  I don't think so.
> [snip]
> What makes you think XML would leave a single CR, LF, or TAB alone?

I don't.  But Norm's wording in the I-D *does* say that, since he says
that only strings of *two or more* whitespace characters are changed
to SPACE.  This means that strings with only one whitespace character
are left alone.

This is incorrect, hence the need for a change in wording in the I-D.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com