Subject: No Subject

On 07/05/2001 02:30:44 jcowan wrote:

>The W3C culture, frankly, is hostile to public ids.  They aren't part of
>Web architecture, as has been said several times both publicly and privately.
>The whole purpose of our creating publicid URNs is to be able to smuggle
>public IDs into the W3C system, and then get them processed through existing
>catalogs.

I side with John here.  If "urn:publicid:..." isn't meant to be interpreted as a
public ID, then what on earth could it be for?  There is a risk here that one
could introduce two incompatible (and overloaded) flavours of public ID, one
with traditional encoding, one with URN encoding.  I would see that as a worse
outcome that treating "urn:publicid:..." as a public ID even when it is provided
as a system ID or not.

     Cheers,
          Tony.
========