Subject: Re: agenda for ER TC teleconference 20010507

Paul Grosso wrote:

> There is no reason to pervert this by looking inside a SYSTEM string
> and deciding it's really PUBLIC.  Now that we can do delegation on
> SYSTEM, there is no advantage to being able to pretend that a SYSTEM
> id is a PUBLIC id, and certainly no advantage to pretending that an
> arbitrary URI is anything but a URI.

The advantage is that existing catalogs, either actual 9401 socats,
or translated versions thereof, contain mappings and delegations for
public ids.  If we give a document a public id, we can refer to
it uniformly via the public id, even where we need to tunnel the
public id as an URN.

The alternative is to have ugly duplications, saying:

"Map -//W3C//DTD Foo//EN to http://www.w3.org/foo"
"Map urn:publicid:-:W3C:DTD+Foo:EN to http://www.w3.org.foo"

which can easily drift out of sync.  To my mind, the public id
and its URN-encoded equivalent are exactly the same name, and
ought to be addressed by a single set of catalog entries.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com