Subject: Re: Unwrapping urn:public:...

/ dcpleland@ftnetwork.com was heard to say:
| John Cowan wrote:
|
| >URL is generated whose query part contains plus signs for spaces
|
| Precisely.  The query part includes '+'.  Not the URL part.  We are only talking about URLs that are persistent identifiers for entity catalogues.  Not queries.

The query is part of the URL.

| > Analogy with existing practice.
|
| That means using the escapement that people are accustomed to.  That means using '%20' as the escapement for white spaces in URLs.

A quick Google search finds lots of references to using "+" to mean " "
in URLs:

  http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/PERL/node201.html
  http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/help-sessions/cgi/x159.html
  http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=156
  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/linking.html
  http://www.perldoc.com/cpan/URI/URL.html
  http://webpacity.com/support/documentation/script_var.html

It is a standard practice.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | Great men too make mistakes, and many among
XML Standards Engineer | them do it so often that one is almost tempted