Subject: Re: retrieving vs. dereferencing

Lauren Wood wrote:

> XML 1.0 second edition changed that to "The SystemLiteral is called the
> entity's system identifier. It is a URI reference (as defined in [IETF RFC
> 2396], updated by [IETF RFC 2732]), meant to be dereferenced to obtain input
> for the XML processor to construct the entity's replacement text."

I think we were mainly concerned to get the correct term "URI reference"
rather than "URI" in there, and to get rid of the "may".

> The definition of derefencing seems to be rather fuzzy - is it fuzzy enough
> for us to be allowed to have a catalog processor in there? The URI RFC
> doesn't seem to allow for any catalog processor that I could see in its
> definition of the URI reference.

No problem, I think.  RFC 2396, section 1.2, says:

#   Although many URL schemes are named after protocols, this does not
#   imply that the only way to access the URL's resource is via the named
#   protocol.  Gateways, proxies, caches, and name resolution services
#   might be used to access some resources, independent of the protocol
#   of their origin, and the resolution of some URL may require the use
#   of more than one protocol (e.g., both DNS and HTTP are typically used
#   to access an "http" URL's resource when it can't be found in a local
#   cache).

I interpret our catalogs as "name resolution services" within the
meaning of this paragraph.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com