Subject: Re: minutes from ER TC teleconference 20010516

Paul Grosso wrote:

> At 11:05 2001 05 16 -0700, Lauren Wood wrote:
>
>> John raises an issue: why we treat system IDs and other URIs separately.
>>
>> The chair is empowered to pose this question by email on Monday. Votes due
>> midnight Pacific time Monday.
>

> I don't understand the above.
>
> What will determine whether the chair poses this question on Monday?

We have to have had some discussion in email of the points that John wishes to
raise (which John should be posting, I believe, although that action item is not
minuted). Since we won't be meeting by phone on Monday, but wish to move on with
the spec, we are allowing the chair to pose appropriate questions in email, so we
don't have to wait until the next phone meeting to get resolutions.

> What is the point of posing this question (I mean, what are we planning
> to do with the answer)?

It might change the spec.

> What does it mean to say votes are due--votes on what?  I mean, we can't
> vote on "why do we treat ...."

We will vote on the question, once it is posed, which will depend on the discussion.