Subject: Re: System URIs

Paul Grosso wrote:
> >| 1) I'm still not absolutely clear about the processing required for the
> >| values of the systemId, systemIdStartString, name and uriStartString
> >| parameters.  Obviously they will be normalised in the XML 1.0 sense,
but I
> >| think they should be further normalised to escape illegal URI
characters
> >| before attempting to match with the value provided from the XML Parser
> >| the EntityResolver.
> >
> >Yes, this is a good point. I will make the spec clearer.
>
> I agree with making the spec clearer, but I disagree with doing
> normalization (except that defined for public ids).  We should
> make it clear we are only talking about the standard XML 1.0
> normalization of CDATA attributes.  We should not (and I claim
> can not) do any supposed uri-related normalization.

I think we probably all agree that the value of the systemId or name
attribute should match exactly the contents of the SystemLiteral in the xml
document which is being processed.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that XML 1.0, section 4.2.2
describes a process of escaping certain characters within the SystemLiteral.
But XML 1.0 is a bit vague, it doesn't say when this escaping should be
performed or by whom.  So it is unclear if the SystemLiteral will have been
escaped before it is supplied to the EntityResolver.

So, in order to obtain a match, the systemId, systemIdStartStrig, name and
uriStartString will need to go through the same normalization process that
the SystemLiteral goes through.  If, for a given parser, this is none then
the catalog processor will not need to do any either.

I am unaware if SystemLiterals are generally escaped before being passed to
EntityResolvers.  I would guess, in the case of SAX parsers (where relative
URLs are absolutized), that they are.

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology