Subject: Re: Comments on latest draft

At 07:01 2001 06 13 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
>/ Rob Lugt <roblugt@elcel.com> was heard to say:
>| 2) 6.3.4 says "A system entry matches a system identifier if the system
>| identifier is lexically identical to the normalized value of the systemId
>| attribute of the entry."  Presumably "normalized" here is a reference to the
>| algorithm described in section 6.2.  If so, this could be made clearer.
>
>I'll do that. (Make it clearer, I mean.)
>
>| 3) "6.2 System Identifier and URI Normalization" gives the impression that
>| all system Identifiers will be %-escaped before matching with catalog
>| entries (that will also be %-escaped).  However, the wording in 6.3.5 and
>| 6.3.7 uses the term "identifier begins precisely...".  What does "precisely"
>| mean in this context? What normalization, %-escaping et al is brought into
>| play here?
>
>Normalization (per 6.2) should also be performed. I'll fix the wording.
>
>| 4)  For the rewriteSystem element, is the systemIdStart string intended to
>| be compared with the [%-escaped?] system identifier from the xml document
>| being processed,
>
>Yes, the %escaped form.
>
>| or should it be compared to the system identifier after it
>| has been absolutized, just like you get from a SAX Entity Resolver
>
>The catalog manager shouldn't do any absolutization of system
>identifiers.  The fact that SAX always does absolutization before
>calling the entityResolver is (IMHO) a bug.
>
>| 5) 'rewrite' entries just return a string.  I believe you expect the xml
>| processor to de-reference this string instead of the original system
>| identifier, but within the same context as the original system identifier.
>| In other words, relative URIs returned from 'rewrite' entries will be
>| resolved relative to the document entity that contained the original system
>| identifier.  Is this the intention?
>
>John's right, we don't have this one nailed down yet. Now that you
>raise the issue, I think the prefix should probably be a URI reference
>and it should be made absolute with the current base URI.

What do you mean by this?  When you say "prefix", are you talking
about the input one or the resulting one?  If the returned one, what
does it mean for it to be a URI reference--I thought it would just be
a string that replaces the prefix in the original.  When you say
"absolute with the current base URI", current where--in the catalog
(where it was found as a right hand side) or in the original document?

paul