Subject: Re: SAX 2.0 enhancement proposal

On 15 Jun 2001 18:36:40 +0100, Rob Lugt wrote:
> "Unless otherwise provided by information outside the scope of this
> specification (e.g. a special XML element type defined by a particular DTD,
> or a processing instruction defined by a particular application
> specification), relative URIs are relative to the location of the resource
> within which the entity declaration occurs.".
>
> You seem to have chosen to ignore the 'Unless' qualifier at the beginning of
> the sentence.  It is clear from the spec that the relative URIs can mean
> whatever the particular application wants them to mean.  The common case is
> that they are relative to the containing entity, but this is not the only
> possible case.

I can't imagine how that passage translates to "the relative URIs can
mean whatever the particular application wants them to mean."  I read
that as leaving room for xml:base or a processing instruction which has
similar effect, though I suppose you could be really really really
liberal in your interpretation and get to "whatever the particular
application wants them to mean."

Maybe this is yet another reason for quarantining relative URI
references as potentially deadly to any kind of interoperability
betweeen applications.  At this point, they've done more than enough
damnge as it is, IMHO.