Subject: problem with the spec

Despite my earlier yes vote, Rob Lugt has just raised an issue [1]
that now has me changing my vote to NO.

Rob points out that the spec has us matching and using the first
rewrite entry whose prefix matches the input rather than the longest.
That is, given the following catalog:

  <rewriteURI uriStartString="ftp" rewritePrefix="http"/>
  <rewriteURI uriStartString="ftp://ftp.arbortext.com/patch-dir/"
      rewritePrefix="http://www.arbortext.com/product-updates/patches/"/>

with a URI of ftp://ftp.arbortext.com/patch-dir/a16355-b.zip in the
input document, the first rewrite entry would be used instead of the
second.

This seems wrong to me and given the way delegate works (though
admittedly delegate has the different property that *all* matching
entries affect the result, not just the longest) this is just going
to surprise and confuse users.

I would like us to change the spec to use the longest rewrite entry
in the current catalog entry file.  Norm has said he will plan to
make that change to the draft.  Then I'd like to ask that we have
our telcon this coming Monday where we can vote on the new draft
in real time.  I hereby make this suggestion to the chair.

paul

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/entity-resolution-comment/200107/msg00006.html