Subject: Re: [entity-resolution] Re: uri vs. system confusion

Hi All,

A few minutes ago I took it upon myself to re-read the XML Catalog spec, and
now realize that everything Paul & John have said regarding system vs. uri
usage is already spelled out quite clearly in the document.

However, I don't believe I would've fully understood the distinction between
uri-based elements and system-based elements if I hadn't initiated this
discussion.

The first two sentences in section 4.1 and in 4.2 are quite clear -- once
one understands the details, e.g. the distinction between 'external
identifiers' (in the technical sense) and 'other URI references'.

Sure enough, it's all in there.

Regarding the ongoing argument concerning the addition of system-based
elements, perhaps all that's needed is the addition of some explanatory text
that makes clear the distinction between external identifiers and 'other URI
references'. (Along with some clarifying examples, of course.)

Keep in mind that the lead-in sentences to section 4.1 may not be effective
at conveying this distinction to the average reader...

Thanks for addressing my many questions whose answers are already given in
the spec document. But I do believe engaging in this discussion was well
worth the effort expended: some minor editorial additions to spec document
would likely remedy the situation.

OTOH, as for the need for system-based elements, well, that debate will
likely continue. But expect no input from me: if I understand how to
successfully implement the spec I'm happy. Let others keep the debate
alive:)

Thanks,
Mark
--