Subject: copyright and licensing issues

Richard Tobin raised the issue of the copyright on the DTD and
schemas. We agreed to look at the issue.

The current OASIS policy on copyright and licensing is as written in
the specification:
"This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this
document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
the copyright notice or references to OASIS, except as needed for the
purpose of developing OASIS specifications, in which case the
procedures for copyrights defined in the OASIS Intellectual Property
Rights document must be followed, or as required to translate it into
languages other than English."

To me this says that the DTD and schemas can be taken out as they
"assist in its implementation" as long as the copyright notices
remain. It would probably also be preferable for the specification
itself to be added to any implementation as documentation; I think
this would resolve any further potential problems with the copyright
notices.

We could potentially separate out the DTD and schemas into separate
documents to make including them (and not the full specification) in
implementations easier.

Alternatively we could raise the issue with the OASIS board and
suggest that something like the W3C software license, under which the
DOM bindings (but not the specification) were released, may be
suitable for DTDs/schemas/Java classes/etc. The W3C software license
is at
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
and meets various organizations' needs.

Lauren Wood, Textuality