Subject: [entity-resolution] Re: status

> / "Lauren Wood" <lauren@textuality.com> was heard to say:
> | at some stage we talked about maybe going for OASIS Standard but
> | everyone seems to have been pretty busy since. Our last issue (system
> | identifier matching) was discussed a little in January without much
> | energy.
>
> I'm really torn on this issue. For better or worse, actually, let's be
> honest, for worse, there are APIs that are built on top of the
> resolver such that they call resolveEntity() when they really should
> be calling resolveURI().

Yep, I've seen this. I think xsltproc used to behave this way.

> That means they're searching for "external identifiers" when they
> should be searching for URIs. That's going to mean people have to use
> <system ...> when they should be using <uri ...>

This is a _very_ common source of confusion.

> I wonder if we should compromise a little. Maybe if someone searches
> for an external identifier with a null public identifier, we should
> search system entries (as we currently do) and if we don't find
> anything, we should search uri entries?

This sounds reasonable to me, but it kind of shoots the whole SystemID/URI
separation in the foot. I'm kinda on the fence here.

> | Making the catalogs into an OASIS Standard would cost some time but
> | would also give a bit more of a fillip; we would have to do some
> | marketing of course (and I'd have to finish that tutorial!)
>
> I have a marginal preference for getting to OASIS Standard.

What are the benefits of being an OASIS Standard over those of being a TC
Specification?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson      <mrj@debian.org>
Debian XML/SGML:  <http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org>
Home Page:        <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242