Subject: RE: [entity-resolution] minutes from ER TC phone call 20050215

On 16 Feb 2005 Paul Grosso wrote:

> [...]

Well, yes, but until it's back I'm trying to use the words in the
process document.

> > the
> > product of the TC if it doesn't go to OASIS Standard is the Committee
> > Draft.
> >
> > > I'm assuming that we are certifying that we are using the CD,
> > > and that the point of this is to get to CS.  But then I'm
> > > wondering where the CD is that I'm certifying we're using.
> > > The last published document I find on our TC page is a 1.0
> > > from over a year ago.
> >
> > Norm will be publishing the CD that we voted on on Tuesday as soon as
> > he has fixed the small mistakes that Tony pointed out, and reverted
> > to "id" as the ID attribute name. This is the CD that people should
> > certify their companies are using.
>
> I'd like us to double check things.  I do not believe we need
> to certify that we're using a CD.  A CD is just put out for
> public review and needs no certification.
>
> I may be confused with the changing status of names in OASIS,
> but this does not match what we're doing in the DITA TC, for
> example.

It's my interpretation of the stuff in
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standard

It starts with "A TC may recommend that the Committee Draft be made
an OASIS Standard." and then switches language to say that what is
submitted is "A formal specification" as well as "Certification by at
least three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully
using the specification" so from my reading, that means that the
certification has to be applied to the CD that we will be submitting,
i.e. the one that we just voted on but that is not yet on the site.
Nowhere does it say that you can certify you're using a previous
version of the CD, nor that some version other than the CD can be
made into an OASIS Standard. The CD here is not just any draft ready
for review, it's the formal Committee Draft as specified in
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#committee_draft
(i.e., the one that used to be called Committee Specification).