Subject: Re: [entity-resolution] XML Catalogs 1.1 Committee Specification

Norman Walsh wrote:

> Here it is, in HTML. My PDF stylesheet's producing really odd margins,
> I'll work on it asap.

Hi Norm, please find my comments inline:

>       4.4. Suffix Entries
>
> Suffix entries are provided as a mechanism for matching based on the suffix of
> an identifier. The typical use case is to match a common entity based on its
> name rather than its full URI.
>
> For example, you can match a DTD such as xhtml1-strict.dtd or a schema such as
> docbook.rng regardless of the full system identifier or URI used in the document
>
> For example, with this entry:
>
> <systemSuffix systemIdSuffix="html1-strict.dtd"
>               uri="file:///share/mirrors/w3c/xhtml1/xhtml1-strict.dtd"/>
>
> any system identifier that ends in “xhtml1-strict.dtd>” will be translated into

Surplus ">" after "xhtml1-strict.dtd"

>       4.5. An XML Catalog Example
>
> The catalog files in Example 1, “A DocBook XML Catalog File: docbook.xml.”
> <#ex.docbook.cat> and Example 2, “A Stylesheet XML Catalog File:
> stylesheet.xml.” <#ex.stylesheet.cat> are complete examples of XML Catalog files.
>
> *Example 1. A DocBook XML Catalog File: docbook.xml.*
>
> <!DOCTYPE catalog
>   PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD XML Catalogs V1.0//EN"
>          "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd";>
> <catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog"
>          prefer="public">
>
>   <group xml:base="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/";>
>     <public publicId="-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
>             uri="docbookx.dtd"/>
>     <public publicId="-//OASIS//ENTITIES DocBook XML Notations V4.1.2//EN"
>             uri="dbnotnx.mod"/>
>     <public publicId="-//OASIS//ENTITIES DocBook XML Character Entities V4.1.2//EN"
>             uri="dbcentx.mod"/>
>     <public publicId="-//OASIS//ELEMENTS DocBook XML Information Pool V4.1.2//EN"
>             uri="dbpoolx.mod"/>
>     <public publicId="-//OASIS//ELEMENTS DocBook XML Document Hierarchy V4.1.2//EN"
>             uri="dbhierx.mod"/>
>     <public publicId="-//OASIS//ENTITIES DocBook XML Additional General Entities V4.1.2//EN"
>             uri="dbgenent.mod"/>
>     <public publicId="-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML CALS Table Model V4.1.2//EN"
>             uri="calstblx.dtd"/>
>   </group>
>
>   <public publicId="-//OASIS//DTD DocBook MathML Module V1.0//EN"
>       uri="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/1.0/dbmathml.dtd"/>
>
>   <nextCatalog catalog="stylesheets.xml"/>

Filename should be "stylesheet.xml" no "stylesheets.xml" to point to the
second catalog file.

>     6. XML Catalog Entries
>
> Each catalog entry file consists of some number of catalog entries. Catalog
> entries can be identified by the namespace name defined by this Committee
> Specification.

May be I miss something because I joined TC just recently, but is it
really *optional* for catalog entries to be in namespace? Or should the
sentence be "Catalog entries must be identified ..."

> Elements and attributes from other namespaces are are allowed, but they must be

"are are" -> "are"

And one final question which is also probably caused by my lack of
knowledge of previous specification evolution. All schemas for catalog
entry files (DTD, WXS, RNG) contains in public and system identifiers
version number 1.0, although the specification describes V1.1 of XML
Catalogs. I suppose that this is correct and that you have previously
agreed on not changing these identifiers because V1.0 catalog files can
be still validated against extended V1.1 schemas. But it looks little
bit confusing at the first glance. May be adding something like the
following sentence at the end of Section 9 could clarify this:
"Because catalog entry files that are conforming to the previous XML
Catalogs Committee Specification 1.0 are also conforming to this
Committee Specification, OASIS Entity Resolution Technical Committee
decided not to change system and public identifiers of schemas that
formally describe grammar of catalog entry files. This decision should
made it easier to manage transition to this newer version of Commitee
Specification."

Anyway I don't want to slow down whole standardization process, so
please ignore this 1.0 vs. 1.1 issue as you like. I know that it is my
fault that I joined this TC too late so I don't have necessary
historical background.

					Jirka

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature