Subject: updated ER TC web page

I'm attaching the updated ER TC home page content using the OASIS
template; please send me any proposed revisions. I put in the full
list of software documentation pages that I found even though they
will be duplicated in the list of implementations. I'm happy to take
links out or add new ones in; I figure the more links we can show to
what we've done the better.

Once I have the FAQ template from Mary I'll do that and send it
around for review.

cheers,

Lauren

Table of Contents

Announcements

We recently voted to pass the latest draft as a Committee Draft and will be launching the OASIS Standard process, probably on September 1, with voting starting September 15, 2005.

Overview

Resources on the web are referenced in many different contexts. In some of these contexts, the resource is not readily available, or isn't trusted. Entity Resolution is the process by which these resource references can be mapped to another version of the reference that can be found, or that is trusted. The Entity Resolution TC is working on a specification of that mapping that works in several applications and is platform-neutral.

For more information, see the TC Charter (which references an SGML Open specification at Entity Management (TR9401) and the TC FAQ

Meetings

The TC meets by phone on an unpredictable schedule.

Work Products

XML Catalogs V 1.1, June 2005

Materials

List of implementations

Update given at OASIS symposium, April 2005

A more detailed description of Entity Resolution is

Entity resolution is the process that an XML processor goes through when it has been requested to find a resource in the course of processing the resource it's working on. The XML processor knows labelling information about the resource such as its system identifier and possibly a name, public identifier, and so forth. These identifiers can be used to determine the actual location of the desired external resource. This determination process (which "maps" the known labelling information into an actual location) is called an entity resolution, and the file that contains the specific mapping information is called the entity resolution catalog. The resource can be an XML entity or any other resource.

Other Resources

Although not produced by the OASIS Entity Resolution TC, the following information offers useful insights into entity resolution and how to use entity resolution catalogs.

Cover Page
http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2005-04-04-a.html
Articles
http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/resolver/resolver-article.html
http://nwalsh.com/docs/articles/xml2003/
Books
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml/chapters/47.html
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/WriteCatalog.html
Software Documentation (some refers to previous versions of the specification)
http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html
http://www.movementarian.org/docs/docbook-autotools/catalog.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/catalog.html
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/CodeDoc/XML-Catalog/Catalog.html
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/catalog.html
http://www.weblogic.com/docs51/classdocs/xml.html
http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/nodes/2003-02-28/xcatalog
http://www.elcel.com/products/xmlvalidman.html
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/03/03/catalogs.html
http://xmlcatmgr.sourceforge.net/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/xmlcatmgr/
http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org/xml-policy/xml-catalogs.html
http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/apidocs/resolver/overview-summary.html
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xcatalogs.html

Mailing Lists and Comments

Additional Information

Older versions of the specifications (pre-Kavi days) are at: