etmf-comment message

Subject: Re: [etmf-comment] etmf specification copyright

Yes Paul and thanks. We certainly want to avoid this sort of confusion going forward.

/chet

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 7:26 AM, User 6391008 <user6391008@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still left confused why one specific organization has been called out here but at least I now understand how the materials can be used i.e. per standard OASIS IPR procedures. Might be worth omitting the specific acknowledgement in a future revision to avoid any such ambiguity.

Regards,

Paul.

From: etmf-comment@lists.oasis-open.org <etmf-comment@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Sent: 16 November 2016 17:14:36
To: User 6391008
Cc: etmf-comment@lists.oasis-open.org; Jamie Clark

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your question and the opportunity to clarify.

The complete Electronic Trial Master File (eTMF) Specification Version 1.0 including the schema and vocabulary documents are copyright of OASIS Open as specified in the Notices section on page 3 of the specification document. As such you are free to use all of it and implement all of it with confidence.

As you note, many people made contributions to this work. Contributions are a central part of the OASIS process as spelled out in the OASIS IPR Policy (https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr). All contributions are covered by the Technical Committee's chosen IPR mode (documented here: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/etmf/ipr.php).

It is not uncommon for work done at OASIS to carry a dual copyright. Contributors grant OASIS and implementers of a spec the right to use it but they also retain all their rights in the work. So you'll see from time to time 'portions copyright of...' or similar wording. The key factor is that they have committed the work to the Technical Committee and you can use it under our terms.

I'm not sure why the TC chose to leave that information in the schema, perhaps simply as acknowledgement of the history of that content. In any case, it is as I note covered.

Does this give you the information you needed to know? If not, please feel free to ask for more.

Best regards,

/chet ensign