forest message

Subject: RE: [forest] FW: David Steinhardt @Idealliance (papinet)

Roger,

Thank you for your message.  I appreciate your taking the time to provide me with the background information.  As you can imagine, during my conversations with various organizations regarding the Forest Industries TC and OASIS, the subject of papiNEt and WoodX has come up numerous times.  Lane Warshaw from Liaison was very helpful in general and specifically suggested that I talk to David Steinhart from Idealliance.  I chose to consult with the TC rather than calling David right away.  I most certainly will not take action in this regard without further conversation amongst us.  It is my opinion that we will need, when the time is appropriate, to deal with this in order to help promote adoption of eFIDS.  I will have an opportunity to talk with David in Boston in December when Idealliance holds its XML 2006 conference (http://2006.xmlconference.org/ ; OASIS is a co-host) and would like to have the TC’s advice on what to discuss with him.

Regards,

Peter

From: Roger Coppock [mailto:Roger.Coppock@scotent.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 7:15 AM
To: Peter Roden; forest@lists.oasis-open.org

Peter,

Thanks for your email. I think that it is important that you realise that we had extensive discussions with WoodX and PapiNet, before coming to OASIS. This was not because we were less happy with the services that OASIS provide, rather that PapiNet offered a better industry fit as it was already involved with the forest sector, albeit primarily with paper. Following a lengthy series of discussions with the WoodX group, which were looking very positive, Steve and I made a presentation to the PapiNet Central Working Group where we covered the two standards and their application in industry. We felt that this had been very positively received. We were somewhat surprised, therefore, when we received a very categoric 'not interested' response from PapiNet several weeks later. This made it quite clear that they were no longer interested in pursuing discussions about harmonisation at this time. We then made the decision to go with OASIS, which had always been our fallback position in the event of the PapiNet discussions failing.

I think, therefore, that we need to spend time now developing and embedding our two standards in industry, and the time to approach PapiNet/WoodX again will be some time in the future. We have always said that we will be very happy to work with them, and are preparing our eFIDS FAQ to address this issue just now. Given their earlier response, it might be more appropriate to wait to see if they are prepared to initiate the opening of discussions again, rather than have us cover ground we have already been over.

Regards

Roger

R C Coppock
Forestry Advisor
Scottish Forest Industries Cluster
Scottish Enterprise

150 Broomielaw, Atlantic Quay, Glasgow, G2 8LU

Email: roger.coppock@scotent.co.uk

Tel: 0141 228 2787 Mobile: 07775846598
www.forestryscotland.com
www.scottish-enterprise.com