forest message

Subject: FW: OASIS (ionicenterprise.com)

Gentlemen,

How is the response to Chris’ question coming along?  Can you please advise?

Thank you,

Peter

From: Christopher Tucker [mailto:tucker@ionicenterprise.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:07 PM
To: Peter Roden
Subject: Re: OASIS

Peter,

We are definitely interested.  Does the Data Transfer Standard encompass features, gridded coverages and raster maps?  If features, does this inherit the GML feature model?  Very interested.

Chris

Peter Roden wrote:

Dear Mr. Tucker,

My colleague, Jamie Clark, forwarded me your message regarding your endorsement of Bernard Snyers for the OCG Architecture Board.

This prompted me to write you regarding some new and interesting GIS working occurring at OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org) to solicit your input, support, and possible participation, in these projects.  The first is the Forestry Industry Technical Committee which is working on two standards. One is the GIS Data Transfer Standard (GIS DTS) which is a mechanism to facilitate information exchange, making the Forestry Industry more efficient and competitive. The GIS DTS works with different GIS systems and does not require any specific data storage format. New GIS and database systems being designed for use in the Forestry Industry will take advantage of the Data Transfer Standard, and have data models built in a compatible way. This in turn will further reduce barriers to the flow of information in the future.  The second is still in the chartering process concerns the formation of Conservation-related information exchange Technical Committees. Among other topics, it would provide a global resource for "Biodiversity and XML", where there are numerous current and abandoned efforts to define the XMl-based semantic ontologies and related geographic data required to define a global open standard for exchanging biodiversity information.

Please let me know if you are interested in these projects or would like additional information.  Thank you.

Regards,

Peter Roden

OASIS Director of Technology Development

+1 978 761 1648 (Primary)

+1 978 667 5115 Ext. 210 (Office)

+1 978 667 5114 (Fax)

skype: oasis-proden