forest message

Subject: RE: OASIS Forest Industries TC

Kurt

clogging up the OASIS lists) info which I hope will be useful to you. A
raw schema file, a ZIP file which expands to an HTML navigable
presentation of the schema, and a copy of a Powerpoint presentation which
shows where we expect our work to fit into the "big picture" in the
fullness of time. There is also schema documentation in Word format which
I will get to you tomorrow (recently updated by a colleague who is off
site at the moment). All of this will soon be viewable on the OASIS site.

With regard to the use of portals, in the UK we have been unhappy with
many aspects of portal operations, and believe that with a single common
standard in place the simplest, most efficient and safest approach is to
talk more or less directly to each other and this has proved to be the
case in practice. Broadly, each of the larger organisations have
implemented secure ftp repositories, one per trading partner, on an
Internet-accessible server, with automated mechanisms to upload,
download, and archive files along with agreed conventions for file naming
etc. This has worked perfectly.

You mentioned Papinet / WoodX and I have to agree with your assessment of
where they're at. I would say in addition that, looking at the "big
picture" as per the attached presentation, it is hard to see how there
can be a future for their standard as their ethos and technical approach
is contrary to what the rest of the world is doing.

I hope this helps and I will follow these two emails up with the further
document mentioned above and also some sample XML data files.

Regards
Bill Allison
Head of Information Systems
BSW Timber plc