fwsi-comment message

Subject: RE: Comments on committee draft - FWSI

Tan,

OK - this helps clarify somewhat - however I'm still not sure that the
FWSI world view is entirely shared by the community at large?!?

I think it is important to have a common understanding.  For example -
you assert that web services are a subset of SOA.  Since web services
were conceived long before SOA - and web services are the atomic
component - it seems the reverse is true - that SOA is a specialization
of web services?  Particularly as you need web services to do SOA - but
you do not necessarily need SOA to do basic web services?  Similarly
with ESB - clearly classic ESB goes back to the EDI days - and so it
would be better to point out that FWSI is an approach to SOA using
ESB-style architecture with web services?

Tying your overall work into the fabric of the OASIS work is important -
and it is good that you are now looking at work such as ebXML Registry -
however - note that this registry work pre-dates the FWSI work by some 5
years - although of course the new V3.0 registry specification is just 2
years old now.

I'm not convinced that providing a "primer" solves the inherent problems
in the organization of the specification.  Other TCs have tried that and
it fails - because you need the specification itself to be well
organized, clear and simple.  People after all are voting on the
specification - not the primer!!!

I still have no idea what you mean by "pure built only" as opposed to
the alternative (what is the alternative)?  It's often tough for a TC
to create specification language that can be comprehended outside its
own team members - you should consider that when reviewing your terms
and usage.

Error handling - other TCs are creating external error signalling
mechanisms - ebBP BPSS has an explicit "signal" toolset - and there are
specific web services one's too.  If your error handling is internal
only - then this should be stated and external mechanisms referenced as
notes.

Hope these additional pointers are helpful.

Thanks, DW